Sunday, July 1, 2012

Selecting Fabrics

So there is another mystery coming and for me it is not really a mystery.  Special Projects, at my guild is doing a 3 part mystery starting in August and I am one of the people who is making up samples.

It requires 3 fabrics with the background a 3 yard piece.  I didn't have any 3 yard pieces in my stash as the only large pieces I have are dark prints that I use for backings, so I went shopping.  I did it spur of the moment but I knew I had several different blues in my stash that would work for the dark fabric that I needed 1 and 3/4 yards of so I just needed a background and another piece 1 and 3/4 as an accent.

I originally selected the light blue and yellow batik as my background but then I switched backgrounds when I selected the yellow.  I auditioned several blues from my stash and this is what I decided on:

At one point before I went shopping I thought about breaking up an old UFO and using those fabrics for this mystery.  In 2010 I took a class in Eleanor Burn's Day and Night and used three fabrics in the one block I made.  I thought I could use that fabric and eliminate a UFO at the same time.  Unfortunately I had precut the fabric for the quilt, so I couldn't use it.  Also I bought the fabric in 2005 or so from Eleanor Burn's tent sale in Paducah so it would be difficult to match the teals.  It is light teal on a creamy white, dark teal and red violet as an accent.  I don't think the red violet shows up well in this pic but it is a nice color combo



No comments:

Post a Comment