Sunday, April 10, 2022

Getting Back to Quilting and Garlic Knots

 

I got sloppy in my techniques.  This is on me and not meant as a critique of anyone or their way of doing things.  I didn't have my machine set up for the first 2 years after I moved from Ft Worth to Dallas so that probably contributed to my problems

I have floated quilts for years.  Lately it just wasn’t fun to quilt the quilts.  They became distorted as I reached the bottom.  I bought magnets to hold the top to the belly bar, and I bought a new string measuring device to track how the quilt was lined up as I progressed.  Maybe I didn’t pay enough attention.  I like jumping in and going full steam. 

I made Bonnie Hunter’s Garlic Knots pattern for a niece last year.  I loved the piecing but procrastinated on the quilting and it felt like such a chore to quilt.  I didn’t even get many pictures because I was just not enthused.


(2nd pic is after it's been washed.)

So, I pondered and felt down.  I decided to move my top bar up into place and start using it.  Things have been better, and I like the extra tension and stability on the top.  Another issue I have is I am wondering if I should keep the longarm if I never used it.  I’d wait to the last minute knowing a gift quilt was due before I’d tackle it.  My plan for 2022 was to try and improve and regain my enthusiasm.

One aspect of my plans was taking a year long Mandala Class. Mandala Club    The class has been great.  We get videos and practice every week.  

Below is picture of table runner I am working on for the class.  I am working on putting cross hatching behind the mandalas, then there will be fills in the mandalas.  All my previous practice I have used water erasable blue pens to mark the fabric.  This time I used the chalk pounce that goes away with ironing.  I have managed to remove/fade some of the marks and it is hard to see where to quilt.  I am going to keep working.  I finished this much just using the ruler.  It’s too late in the day to see well.   







No comments:

Post a Comment