Sunday, April 24, 2022

well....practice continues

 I didn't get as much sewing or quilting done this last week.  Every Tuesday I am working on finishing my Color My World BOM.  I still need to make the 4 corner sky scrapers and put the  top together.

As for practicing on the mandala, it's been challenge but that is why I wanted to tackle the year long work. I am not doing well on the small or tiny motifs.  I feel pretty comfortable with big feathers but I need to go much slower and work on the smaller ones.  I was eager to finish this brown one and start the next.  

I am still on the brown one.  Makes me 2 weeks behind, but hopefully I'll catch up soon.  It's like taking a class every week.  A video and handout comes every Monday.  I've watched all the videos but haven't stitched projects from the last 2 weeks.

What went wrong?  My crosshatching chalk marks were fading and I didn't sew straight or space well at times.  I didn't have enough extra fabric for the backing and rulers got hung up on edges and pins.  I am backing it with a fat quarter so I took it off the frame and sewed extra fabric to the backing.  I remarked the crosshatching lines.

Things are better but I unpicked some crosshatching that looked bad.  I ended up adding small feathers because that is one area I definitely need to practice.  

Positive things - this piece is 18 inches square.  When it is all quilted I need to cut it down to a smaller rectangle for the bag - something like 10 x 16.  So some wobbles will be trimmed off.    Also, I think I am getting better.




No comments:

Post a Comment